Research and practice
Recent and upcoming events and performances are listed over here.
- I do solo work as Yaxu, including Spicule LP crowdfund, and Peak Cut EP already released on the Computer Club label.
- slub live ambient gabba with Ade Ward and Dave Griffiths
- I started the TidalCycles live coding environment, now a free/open source project
- I’m co-organising the Festival of Algorithmic and Mechanical Movement starting in Sheffield in November 2016
- I’m starting a part-time postdoc working on Ellen Harlizius-Klück‘s PENELOPE project at the Deutsches Museum in Munich, from autumn 2016.
- Sound Choreography <> Body Code, a live coding + live choreography project with Kate Sicchio
- dorkbotsheffield (and formerly dorkbotlondon) meetings
- TOPLAP organisation for promotion of live algorithm programming, with many others
- Algorave with whoever will listen
- Eulerroom likewise
- Aalleexx livecode duo with Alexandra Cardenas
- xynaaxmue audiovisual noise duo with xname
- Canute, a live coding + v-drum project with Matthew Yee-King
- Conferences and workshops – I co-founded the international Live Interfaces and Live Coding conferences, and still involved with them in a steering capacity, and am also involved with the FARM and LIVE workshops, as well as various paper committees.
- I’m working on the Oxford Handbook on Algorithmic Music with Roger Dean
- During 2016 I’m sound artist in residence at the Open Data Institute in London, supported by Sound and Music
Recent-ish complete/mostly inactive projects
- PhD Arts and Computational Technology at Goldsmiths College, University of London (thesis available)
- runme.org software art repository with Amy Alexander, Olga Goriunova, Alexei Shulgin and others
- Live Notation with Hester Reeve, funded by the AHRC
- A Sound and Music Composer-Curatorship from March 2014-March 2015
- Hession/McLean Duo, a free jazz improv project with Paul Hession
- Declaration Kriol, giving voice to an avatar with the roots band Rafiki Jazz
- Silicone Bake with Jake Harries
- Chordpunch recordings with Nick Collins
- Weaving code: learning computer programming through pattern and craft, a collaborative project with Becky Parry, Kia Ng, LoveBytes and ArtBoat. This is spun off from a research theme lead by Ellen Harlizius-Klück, who is a project partner along with Dave Griffiths.
- Communications with EunJoo, Shin
- Research Fellow in Human/Technology Interface and Deputy Director of ICSRiM, School of Music, University of Leeds. Part of the Culture, Society and Innovation Hub.
- The Live Coding Research Network funded by the AHRC, co-lead with Thor Magnusson
- Weaving codes – coding weaves, Principal Investigator of an AHRC Digital Transformations Amplification project running for 18 months from September 2014.