Research and practice
Recent and upcoming events and performances are listed over here.
- I research algorithmic patterns as part of Then Try This funded by a UKRI Future Leaders Fellowship.
- I made the TidalCycles live coding environment, now an active free/open source project
- I make music and other performances (including solo work as Yaxu, slub live ambient gabba with Ade Ward and Dave Griffiths, Aalleexx with Alexandra Cardenas, Sound Choreography <> Body Code, with Kate Sicchio, CCAI livecode duo with Sam Schorb, Epiploke livecode duo with Lucy Cheesman, xynaaxmue audiovisual noise duo with xname, Canute, a live coding + v-drum project with Matthew Yee-King)
- I co-founded the international Live Interfaces and Live Coding conferences, and still involved with them in a steering capacity
- I co-founded the TOPLAP live coding and Algorave movements
- I co-founded and co-organised three editions of the AlgoMech Festival of Algorithmic and Mechanical Movement
- I work as a postdoc on Ellen Harlizius-Klück‘s PENELOPE project at the Deutsches Museum in Munich, from 2016-2021.
- I edited the Oxford Handbook on Algorithmic Music with Roger Dean
- dorkbotsheffield and dorkbotlondon meetings
- I once chaired the FARM workshop, and was on the steering committee for some years.
- During 2016 I was sound artist in residence at the Open Data Institute in London, supported by Sound and Music
- PhD Arts and Computational Technology at Goldsmiths College, University of London (thesis available)
- runme.org software art repository with Amy Alexander, Olga Goriunova, Alexei Shulgin and others
- Live Notation with Hester Reeve, funded by the AHRC
- A Sound and Music Composer-Curatorship from March 2014-March 2015
- Hession/McLean Duo, a free jazz improv project with Paul Hession
- Declaration Kriol, giving voice to an avatar with the roots band Rafiki Jazz
- Silicone Bake with Jake Harries
- Chordpunch recordings with Nick Collins
- Weaving code: learning computer programming through pattern and craft, a collaborative project with Becky Parry, Kia Ng, LoveBytes and ArtBoat. This is spun off from a research theme lead by Ellen Harlizius-Klück, who is a project partner along with Dave Griffiths.
- Communications making installation art with EunJoo, Shin
- Research Fellow in Human/Technology Interface and Deputy Director of ICSRiM, School of Music, University of Leeds. Part of the Culture, Society and Innovation Hub.
- The Live Coding Research Network funded by the AHRC, co-lead with Thor Magnusson
- Weaving codes – coding weaves, Principal Investigator of an AHRC Digital Transformations Amplification project running for 18 months from September 2014.